Thursday, December 15, 2011

Associating music with people

Not sure if it is just me, but do you tend to associate music with people? Say for example, some years ago, I heard a song I liked very much in a person's mp3 collection, and asked for it, then when I was very angry with the person, I stopped listening to the song. I didn't delete it, I just stopped listening to it.

Same thing happened again. I started listening to "Super Bass" around the same time I started chatting with a CoH friend (technically not really, I don't consider playing two games with someone == him being a friend. I added him because he was funny and my friend's brother). But then conversations are always either hot or arctic, so it became quite annoying, indirectly affected my relationship with the CoH friend and kind of defeats my purpose of chatting in the first place (I wanted to forget how frustrating life is).  

And now I find that I cannot listen to "Super Bass" without thinking of that person *pissed* I am not installing any IM in my new computer, and I am considering uninstalling all in the old one. IMs are not worth the trouble.

2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing. I associate songs with people and experience. I remember what exactly happened when I first heard the song, who sent me the song, what I was doing that day, etc. It's annoying sometimes because it's not like the song reminds me of the person, it's almost like the song is a memory of the actual person itself. I dunno, it's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. And now you cannot listen to the song without remembering the person. Of course this would be excellent if it is a good memory, e.g. listening to "your song" (the song you and him danced to the first night you met). It always gives me a lovely tingly feeling. But if it is something bad...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails