Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saturday Munchies 10 - A Tale of Lunch

I was walking towards Mc Ding Dong this morning (I haven't given up on Toa Payoh, Thomson Road, Shenton Way or Sentosa Cove. I know you guys are out there...), when I encountered an old lady setting up shop at the void deck next to the train station exit.

She was still there when B1 and I finished our breakfast.

I cast a sideways glance at the old lady as I walked past her patiently fanning herself behind her wares which were covered with plastic cling film in big aluminum baking tins.

I halted and looked back. I could not see her as she was shielded by the pillars from the heat.

Yes, I am aware of the old people syndicates which lean heavily on Singaporeans' sympathies, especially that of the tissue paper gang. While waiting at train stations, I have witnessed senior citizens carrying the nearby NTUC's plastic bags containing tissues packets, establish their territory, tear into the packets and tying them three by three, back into the same NTUC bags before hawking them.

But this old lady was selling food, which was quite admirable, as I was pointing out to the doubtful B1. She is not looking for sympathy but she is doing a trade, albeit illegal. I did not think that I was going to actually consume what I would be buying, but every bit should help. It was so dastardly hot after all, and her food would spoil and nobody would buy then.

Changing my mind, I strode back towards her. Looking down, I noticed that she was selling two items. One tin held a lonely, strange-looking meat and rice patty, the other was half full of kueh ondeh.

"What is this, Auntie?" I pointed at the former.

"Rice Dumpling". Well it has to be my first time seeing a rice dumpling that is not wrapped in bamboo leaves but a freaking plastic bag. B1 later asked if said dumpling was cooked in said bag, but I don't think so. Or at least I hope so? At least it didn't have a plastic-like taste.

"How much, Auntie?" I asked.

"S$1.50. You want ondeh?" as she placed the patty in a plastic bag and handed it to me. I shook my head, as a middle-aged lady appeared and wanted to buy the ondeh.

Upon reaching home, I chucked the patty at the dining room table and returned to the joys of American TV. Hours later, B1 and I were hungry but I was too lazy to cook (a heavy disadvantage of me cooking is that I take epic long time to do so and many dishes are harmed in the process, which also means epic washing up). On my way to the kitchen to dig up instant mee, I saw the patty.

Hmm.

I zapped the hell of that thing in the microwave after I shook it out of the plastic bag onto a plate.

Not that it is relevant, but I added the spring onions. I forgot to take a photo again after I added fried shallots. It turned out to be Peranakan-style rice dumpling, now that I could take a close look. Tasted pretty good, especially with the texture and fragrance of my fried shallots. Rather oily, but that's a given. Quite worthy of the S$1.50.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails